Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road) is one of the six units of the ACS Family of Schools. The Anglo-Chinese School has 125 years of history, which began with the vision and passion of one man, Bishop William Fitzjames Oldham. At the time, little was offered by way of education in the city-port and he wanted to provide an education for the many boys he saw wandering aimlessly in the streets. On 1 st March 1886, he founded Anglo-Chinese School in a shophouse in Amoy Street with 13 students.
ACS (Barker Road) was established on 1 st January 1994 as a full government-aided school catering to both Primary and Secondary students. The purpose of establishing a full school in the ACS Family was to cater to the feeder pupils from 2 primary schools, who could not gain admission to ACS (Independent) but wished to continue with an ACS secondary education. Today, ACS (Barker Road)'s role in the Family of Schools has not changed.
As the school grew, plans to redevelop the campus were made and in 1999, the school split into two schools – ACS (Primary) and ACS (Barker Road). Both schools were relocated to separate holding schools while Barker Road Campus was being redeveloped. In January 2003, ACS (Primary) and ACS (Barker Road) moved back to the Barker Road Campus. ACS (Barker Road) today offers an education that holds true to Oldham's vision of a philosophy of education that stresses Academic Achievement, Strength of Character and Christian Service.